Comments on linux version

Initial comments from playing with ccpnmr 3.0.2 on the following system, I`ll add any more I find:

• Dell XPS 15
  • Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 (Driver Version: 440.100, CUDA Version: 10.2)
  • (Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630, currently not in use, will be later*)
  • Screen: 15.6-inch UHD (3840 x 2160)
*need to finish setting up to be able to switch between nvidia and integrated GPU

ccpnmr3.0.2 downloaded from ...ccpn.ac.uk/download/3.0.2/ccpnmr3.0.2/ccpnmr3.0.2Ubuntu16.04.tgz  20/07/16

1. Issues with display of pop up boxes. 
Pop up boxes don`t resize to fit the content for either the initial `Please install updates` or the `Pick ND peaks` options. (see BoxSize1.jpg and BozSize2.jpg)
This issue occurs when using low screen resolution too (see LowResBoxSize.jpg)

2. Issues with high resolution screen
UHD screens are an issue for a range of software (until recently in windows too) and I`m not sure how fixable this actually is right now.

With screen at full resolution: (3840 x 2160, 200% scale)
Left hand project tree (default -> Spectra/SpectrumGroups/ChemicalShiftsLists etc) is a good size. Top bar options (Project, Spectrum, Molecules, Assign...) are a little small but manageable. Buttons in the SpectrumDisplay:HN (to interact with strips or change contours) are too small to easily see. Mouse-over text is fine though. The spectrum name is only half visible.
(see BoxSize2.jpg)
Reduced screen resolution: (2048 x 1152, 100% scale)
Buttons are now a reasonable size. Left hand project tree, mouse-over text and cursor are now very large. The spectrum name is still only half visible. (see LowResBoxSize.jpg)

I can`t find a settings combination that makes everything a usable/correct size.

Note on both issues above:

Issue 1: The pop-up box asking if you want to save when you exit does open the correct size to read and interact with the contents.

Issue 2: The drop down menus and pop-up box on exiting are a better size in the high resolution configuration.

Hi Ruth,

there are a bunch of updates on the Update server now (for 3.0.2) which should sort out the font sizes. If you find that the fonts are too large for your screen resolution (this is a bit of an issue in NMRbox, it think), then go to Project / Preferences and then under Appearance you can change the font sizes and types. The `Module` font affects not only the modules, but also the menus and pop-ups. So hopefully by going to a smaller font size, you should be ale to see everything correctly now.

Best wishes,

Vicky

Dear Vicky,

I have exactly the same problem as Ruth with high res screens, and I cannot find a solution. I already installed all the updates available for v3.0.2 and tried combination of different resolutions and scaling of the screens and still I have the problems ( in certain cases the dialog boxes are too big but the icons and names of the spectrum as Ruth described). Di you guys find a solution in the mean time?

Hi Carolina,

this is frustrating. We had thought/hoped that the latest bunch of updates had sorted this out.
Does changing the font sizes in Project/Preferences/Appearance make a different at all?

What operating system are you using and what resolution screen?

Possibly the best thing might be to arrange for you and Ed to chat on Zoom/Teams, so he can better understand what is going on.

Vicky

Dear Vicky,

I have exactly the same problem as Ruth with high res screens, and I cannot find a solution. I already installed all the updates available for v3.0.2 and tried combination of different resolutions and scaling of the screens and still I have the problems ( in certain cases the dialog boxes are too big but the icons and names of the spectrum as Ruth described). Did you guys find a solution in the mean time?

Hi Vicky,

I am using Ubuntu 20.04.1 and 3840 x 2160, 200% scale. Changing the values in Appearance doesn`t help. I am working now with a res 2560X1440, 100% and I can see better the titles of the spectrum and the icons a bit bigger but the peak annotations are very small, I have been looking for an option similar to the options in v2 (Peak : Draw Parameters ) but I cannot find it. Thanks for the offer, let me know when I can have a zoom meeting with Ed.

Hi Carolina,

you can change the size of the peak annotations by changing the `Spectrum Display Font Size` in the Appearances Preferences. You will have to restart the programme for this to take effect. If you do want to zoom, just e-mail us on ccpnmr3@gmail.com and we`ll arrange something.

Vicky