WSL2 - ubuntu

Hi,

That is quite a long shot but I am still asking :

Having to work from home, and without a linux distribution i started using WSL2 (windows subsystem for Linux 2), and I am overall thrilled with the performance, most application feel completely native.
Most graphical application work very well, and even the 3D software coot (that use openGL)
But ccpn3 refuse to work, I can start the main GUI, and import spectra, but when I try to display the spectra nothing happen in the gui, but the terminal fill with errors, relative to qt and opngl.

Now WSL2 is not really optimized to be used with openGL and the default version is 1.4 at the moment, is ccpn dependent of newer version of openGL ?
If yes, updating will be hard am afraid, if no have you any idea of what could be the source of the problem.

I understand that WSL support is very low in your priority list, but I do believe WSL will become more popular in a very near future as it allow to use linux app under windows with very high efficency

Thanks

Clément

here are my errors pasted :

Software startup (but the gui still start normaly) :

QT error: 1

QT error: <PyQt5.QtCore.QMessageLogContext object at 0x7fa2d602ef28>
QT error: QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to `/tmp/runtime-clement`

Trying to load a spectra :

(Logging._info:109)

INFO   : mainWindow.createSpectrumDisplay(spectrum=`SP:9M_Urea_Exchange`, displayAxisCodes=(), axisOrder=(), title=None, positions=(), widths=(), units=(), stripDirection=`Y`, is1D=False)    (Logging._info:109)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 1686, in initializeGL
    self.globalGL = GLGlobalData(parent=self, strip=self.strip)
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/util/decorators.py`, line 88, in singleton_new
    it.__init_original__(*args, **kwds)
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGLGlobal.py`, line 57, in __init__
    self.initialiseShaders()
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGLGlobal.py`, line 356, in initialiseShaders
    `background`   : (4, np.float32)})
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGLShader.py`, line 61, in __init__
    raise RuntimeError(`Error linking program: %s` % (info))
RuntimeError: Error linking program:
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 848, in resizeGL
    self.refreshDevicePixelRatio()
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 839, in refreshDevicePixelRatio
    self.viewports._devicePixelRatio = self.devicePixelRatio()
AttributeError: `GuiNdWidget` object has no attribute `viewports`
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 2774, in paintGL
    self._buildGL()
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 2727, in _buildGL
    self.buildGrid()
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 3186, in buildGrid
    self.axisLabelling, self.axesChanged = self._buildAxes(self.gridList[0], axisList=[0, 1],
IndexError: list index out of range
INFO   : estimating noise level for spectrum SP:9M_Urea_Exchange                                       (Logging._info:109)
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 2774, in paintGL
    self._buildGL()
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 2740, in _buildGL
    self._marksList.renderMode = GLRENDERMODE_REBUILD
AttributeError: `NoneType` object has no attribute `renderMode`
WARNING: QT error: 1                                                                                   (Gui.qtMessageHandler:51)
WARNING: QT error: <PyQt5.QtCore.QMessageLogContext object at 0x7fa2bd6dad68>                          (Gui.qtMessageHandler:51)
WARNING: QT error: QOpenGLShaderProgram: could not create shader program                               (Gui.qtMessageHandler:51)
WARNING: QT error: 1                                                                                   (Gui.qtMessageHandler:51)
WARNING: QT error: <PyQt5.QtCore.QMessageLogContext object at 0x7fa2bd6dad68>                          (Gui.qtMessageHandler:51)
WARNING: QT error: QOpenGLShader: could not create shader                                              (Gui.qtMessageHandler:51)
WARNING: QT error: Could not link shader program:
 ``                                                  (Gui.qtMessageHandler:51)
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 848, in resizeGL
    self.refreshDevicePixelRatio()
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 839, in refreshDevicePixelRatio
    self.viewports._devicePixelRatio = self.devicePixelRatio()
AttributeError: `GuiNdWidget` object has no attribute `viewports`
    self._buildGL()
  File `/usr/softwares/ccpnmr3.0.0/src/python/ccpn/ui/gui/lib/OpenGL/CcpnOpenGL.py`, line 2740, in _buildGL
    self._buildGL()

Hi Clément,

we`ll look into this and see if there is a quick solution or if this is linked to versions etc. Though I wonder, overall, if you will be better off using our new Windows 10 version on which we are just ironing out the last few little bugs before we release it.

Best wishes,
Vicky

Hi Vicky,

Great thanks !
I actually had no idea that you were making a windows version ! it would indeed be very simple.
I just wanted to pointing you that this may work, because I know developer don`t always enjoy the work of porting software from Linux to Windows, but if work is already done that`s great !

Thanks

Clément